Documenting my adventures in teaching, getting to know them as individuals - because my kids are people, not test scores.
Leslie Morgan Steiner was in an abusive relationship, though at first she didn’t realize it. In a talk at TEDxRainier, she tells the disturbing story of her relationship, correcting misconceptions many people hold about victims of domestic violence, and explaining how we can all help break the silence.
If you or someone you know is facing domestic violence or an absuive relationship, you can find a list of resources here. The U.S. National Sexual Assault Hotline is 1-800-656-4673 (HOPE), and RAINN offers a secure online hotline.
- HIV/AIDS training at the health department. . . Slideshow shows really graphic anal hpv wart clusters.
- Teacher: We call that a Christmas Wreath.
- Lady in class: Uh-uh! No! Why you gotta do Christmas like that?!?!?!! No. That's just blasphemy.
- me: In honor of our reading about Hanukkah today, we are going to listen to a Hanukkah cd while we work.
- 7th grader: Is it Lil Wayne?
when I notice my body actually doing something right for once, I get really proud of it, Like healing cuts and fighting infection. Like, wow, body you are dealing with a lot of shit right now and you are trying your best and look at you go clotting blood around a cut and all that new skin and blinking like a pro. kudos.
At my school there’s a rule that only one student can be out of class at a time with a hall pass, but today in math a bunch of people forgot their graphing calculators so my math teacher yelled, “EVERYBODY, GO. RUN. THEY CAN’T CATCHH ALL OF YOU.”