Documenting my adventures in teaching, getting to know them as individuals - because my kids are people, not test scores.
- There are two Baby Think It Over dolls in my classroom right now (but they aren't turned on yet).
- 8th grader 1: Somebody need to get this thing, it's lookin at me.
- 8th grader 2, who already has one of them: Give me my godson, give him over here.
- 8th grader 3: Now you know we don't need anymore babies over here now!
- My 8th Graders are obsessed with the little boy in the Boy in the Striped Pajamas. . .
- 8th grader: I've never seen a boy with blue eyes before now. They are SO PRETTY! Like ocean blue! Daaaaang.
Almost accidentally printed my science worksheets in Russian. Whoops.
Didn’t even know that was an option…
- ROMEO: Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged! Give me my sin again.
- BOY IN MY CLASS: That kid's got game.
Yesterday afternoon New Yorkers participated in a Rally Against Hate, organized by members of New York’s LGBT community. The rally was organized in response to a recent number of hate crimes, most notably the murder of Mark Carson, a gay man who was shot in the West Village neighborhood on May 18.
- 8th grader: Man, that's how you know people be lying about ugly babies, when they come up and be all, "Now whose pretty little baby is this?"